Have you ever noticed your arms jiggle before?
Perhaps you were reaching for something or another person brought it to your attention.
You inspected your arms only to find out that they tend to jiggle when you move and do things.
Well, the arms are a normal area to store fat and as a result can get a bit jiggly. It’s not the funnest thing to experience nor the most attractive, but there are steps you can take starting today to get toned arms. Keep reading to learn how.
What causes jiggly arms?
Jiggly arms are caused when fat accumulates on the back side of your arm, specifically in the triceps area. This itself can be for a variety of reasons including:
- Genetics: Some people simply have larger arms or store more fat in their arms due to genes. If this sums you up, you will have to simply work a bit harder than the average person to lose them.
- Diet: A poor diet consisting of junk food, processed food, and similar unhealthy items can also be a main contributor to underarm fat. This is because the excess calories get stored as fat, higher insulin from bad carbs tells your body to store energy, and other reasons.
- Lack of exercise: Exercising will keep your arms toned and burns off calories, too. If you don’t exercise very often and workout your arms, you may be more susceptible to getting fat under your arms.
Is underarm fat normal?
Having fat under your arms is actually very common. It’s often one of the first places that excess weight gets distributed to. If you look around, you’ll notice that tons of people tend to have flabby arms. However, you don’t have to the person that continues to have it forever if you continue reading ahead 🙂
How to get rid of underarm flab
Is it possible to get rid underarm fat? Absolutely! Ahead are some of the most effective ways to lose fat under the arms. If you use these techniques in combination with one another, you will generate faster results.
1. Strength your triceps
Since the triceps make up a third of your arms, it only makes sense to grow and strengthen that area. Doing so will help to tone the arms, burn arm fat, and ultimately get rid of the jiggle there. Here are some of the best exercises for underarm flab:
- Pushups: Bodyweight exercises are incredible because you can do them from home or while travelling. They also give a killer workout! Pushups stimulate the triceps, shoulders, and chest muscles. Hence why they are so effective for toning the arms. You can begin doing pushups by first starting on your knees or getting into a plank position with the hands under your shoulders. Control your body down until your chest touches the floor and push back up. Try to remain stiff and straight to keep good form. Perform three sets of 8-12 reps for the best results.
- Bench press: If you have a gym membership to gain access to dumbbells and barbells, you definitely need to start bench pressing. Don’t worry if you’re a girl, either. You don’t have the testosterone in your body to get big! Bench press, similar to pushups, will work the entire upper body and heavily stimulates the arms to tone up and get stronger. You can lay down on a flat bench with weights and push up from the chest to properly perform the movement.
- Tricep extensions: This exercise can be performed either with a dumbbell or a machine at a gym made for it. With a dumbbell, simply hold the weight behind your head and extend it upward while locking the elbow.
2. Do bicep exercises
The biceps only make up a quarter of your arm, but it’s still a good idea to strengthen them to get rid of fat arms. Try out the following bicep exercises to starting doing so:
- Curls: Everybody knows and loves the classic curl. It’s one of the easiest and most effective exercises in general. Take dumbbells in both hands and curl them upward while locking the elbow. You can also do the same thing with a barbell or kettle bell. There are many machines at gyms that are made for curling, too.
- Rows: This is both a back and bicep exercise. It’s awesome for getting a ripped back, nice biceps, and toning the arms as a whole. To do it with a barbell, hold the weight in front of you, bend your knees, and bend over at a 45 degree angle. Pull the barbell toward you lower abs, lower it back down, and repeat. You can also do this movement with dumbbells or a smith machine if you wish.
3. Work out your shoulders
The shoulder muscles are connected to the arms, thus it’s wise to work them out, too. This will streamline your entire arm and ensure that you don’t have fat around the top area. Try out the following shoulder exercises and see the results for yourself:
- Side raises: With a dumbbell or another weight in your hands, lift your arms up until your arms are completely horizontal and lower them back to your sides. This will mostly work the side part of your shoulder, but the front and back will receive some mild stimulation, too. Use a light weight since the shoulder is a sensitive and small muscle group.
- Front raises: Using a dumbbell or weight of your choice, lift it upward in front of you one arm at a time until the arm is horizontal. Repeat this with the other arm.
- Shoulder press: Dumbbell and barbell shoulder press is an amazing exercise for strengthening and toning the shoulders and triceps. You can take either of these weights, sit down, and push up while lowering the weights back down for several repetitions.
4. Try intermittent fasting
Fasting is one of the latest fads in health but for very good reason. It’s one of the most effective dieting strategies for losing weight, toning muscles, and becoming healthier in general. When you think of our ancestors, they fasted naturally. This is because they did not have access to fridges and cupboards full of food like we do. Instead, they’d hunt or gather food and not eat for up to a day or more until their next meal. Over time, the human body became adapted to not eating for long periods, and as a result increases testosterone, growth hormone, vision, cognitive function, and more. Biologically these functions gave us an edge while hunting and gathering to ensure we made it to our next meal.
Seeing as we aren’t cavemen any more, we can take advantage of fasting by delaying eating until lunch and closing the eating window in the early evening. Normally people will do a 16 hour fast and eat within an 8 hour window. For example, if you begin eating at 12:00pm, you’d stop eating around 8:00pm. This also prevents late night snacks which can make you gain weight and get fatter arms.
5. Cut out the carbs
One of the most common practices for anyone trying to lose weight somewhere on their body is to cut out carbs. This is because carbs are the body’s main energy source and it will store them as fat for later use. Some individuals will only cut of simple carbs like white bread, pasta, and rice because it spikes blood sugar and insulin, as well. Complex carbs like wholegrains offers long lasting energy that isn’t as easily stored as fat. However, it’s a good idea to minimize carbs in general while trying to lean down your arms.
6. Try out yoga
If you don’t want a super intense exercise regimen, you should definitely try a yoga class. You will have to do many poses like the downward dog which places a lot of emphasis on the arms, toning them and helping to reduce fat as a result. You can begin by doing a single class per week and building up to many classes if you’d like, too.
7. Give rockclimbing a shot
Rockclimbing is a very fun and athletic workout. The best part is that you don’t have to do it outdoors since there are many indoor rockclimbing facilities that offer harnesses, special footwear, chalk, and other amenities to keep you safe. Rockclimbing gives an amazing back and arm workout, as well. You’ll notice that many people who perform rockclimbing tend to be in an amazing shape. It’s no surprise!